Utility Subsidy Program
The Emergency Utility Subsidy Program provides assistance to Niagara Falls residents living on or below the poverty line who are in threat of having their heat, water, oil or gas utilities disconnected. There are several funding resources available throughout the year to assist with high energy costs. Funders include the United Way of Niagara Falls and Greater Fort Erie, Enbridge, Niagara Region along with a partnership with Niagara Peninsula Energy.
Primarily, families receive help with their utilities when notice is given for disconnection. The utility bill must be in the families name in order to receive assistance. Also, identification for all household members, proof of income and the disconnection notice from the utility company must be presented upon intake. Staff will work with the utility companies to seek a payment solution.
Other means of help include hydro or water deposits along with referrals to partner agencies who may be able to assist further. Families are able to receive assistance once a year through the Utility Subsidy Program. Funding for this program is limited.
- Proof of Income for everyone in the home - including Child Tax Benefit
- Idenitfication for everyone in the home - 2 pieces for applicant, 1 piece for everyone else in the home
- Current utility bill and/or disconnect notice for the utility
- Rent / Mortgage receipt
- Bank statement from the last 30 days
- 2014 Income Tax or Notice of Assesment may be requested for all family members
For further information call Carole at 905-357-5121 x31 or Rachel at 905-357-5121 x25